Saturday, May 10, 2008

Maker Faire wrap-up: Part 2 - Workshop Photos

During Maker Faire, I did a few workshops at my booth, teaching attendees with digital cameras how to shoot stereoscopic still images with a single camera via the "cha-cha" method of taking one photo with your weight on your left foot, and one photo with your weight shifted to your right foot. This essentially gives you a matched stereo pair, as long as the subject isn't moving during the two shots. A more detailed tutorial can be found on the SCSC website.

What was really cool was that I challenged people at the booth to go out with their digital cameras and take a 3-D picture during Maker Faire, and if they brought their memory card back to my table, I would align their photo and make an anaglyph print for them to take home. Over the course of the event, I had 5 people come back with photos - one woman, who came by on Saturday with only a camera-phone, was so excited to try this that she returned on Sunday with a better camera.

So here are the efforts of some first time stereo photographers:

I'd like to add photo credits to these, so if you took one of these, please email me with your full name, and let me know which one is yours.

No comments: